Things that make you go mmm...
Smoky Split Pea Soup
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours 15 minutes
This hearty soup recipe is very versatile; feel free to load up with additional root veggies, or if you don’t care for ham hocks, simply top the soup with crumbled bacon once it’s done!
- 1 lb green split peas, rinsed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 ham hocks (about 1 1/2 lb total)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- In a 5- to 6-qt slow cooker, combine the split peas, carrots, parsnips, celery, garlic, onion, thyme and 6 cups water.
- Add the ham hocks and cook, covered, until the meat is tender and easily pulls apart, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer the ham hocks to a plate. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat, discarding the skin and bones. Stir the meat back into the soup along with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
This is the BEST split pea soup!!! I just made some this week and it was delicious! They didn't have ham hocks, so we used ham shanks and it was just as good :) It was also my first time using parsnips!